Wednesday, October 24, 2007

School fun

So I thought I'd write a bit about my job, since that is what brought me over here!
I start everyday at the school at 8:25. If I have a first period class it starts at 9:10. There are six periods in a day. I teach mostly 3 or 4 periods a day and each period last 45 minutes. Lunch is an hour long.
I plan all my lessons, but I have a curriculum to follow for the 8-9th graders and I can do anything with the first level (7th graders). I teach at an all-girls middle school and I really think that I lucked out with that choice. Overall they are pretty well behaved. They often talk and whisper with each other in class, but the Korean co-teacher does most of the discipline.
I always teach with one of them in the room and they help me out most of the time. There are 6 English teachers at my school. Some know way more English than the others, it's kinda weird.
Between classes I often just sit in my office and surf the internet and plan lessons etc.
I teach the English co-teachers 3X a week and I have an extra reading club class with students on Friday afternoon as well as a class for non-English teachers who know some, but hardly any English. There are about 6 of them and really they are all at different parts of the spectrum, so that makes it difficult.
I'm done teaching at 3:30 but I have to stay everyday until four thirty. At 3:30 students come into our office and clean our desks and dishes and sweep and mop the floor. It's pretty sweet.

This week has been really fun. IT's the school festival week. On Monday was a performance day where girls displayed some talents and different cultural dances as well as dances that I think are pretty scandalous for 9th graders to be doing, but I guess it's normal here. Then in the afternoon we could wander to different classrooms for exhibits and playing games or making crafts.
Yesterday and half of today was sports day. I didn't do anything except cheer for a while and then I retreated to the office to do some work for my co-teacher.
Hope that gave you a little better glimpse into my days of teaching here in Korea!
A traditional dance and custumes from Korea done to drums. It was really tasteful and colourful!
Karen teacher with some students. They don't like to show their mouths in pictures. Haven't figured this one out yet!
This is one class performing their team dance to popular music.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like quite the celebration!
It was hard to tell who the teacher was except for the fact we could see your smile! Enjoy the rest of the week.
Love you!!!! Mom & Dad

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

That's a long day for you! I like having the kids clean up for you!! Katy and Karen will be quite spoiled by the time they return to North America!!! Thanks for posting! (Mary Lou)

Anonymous said...

HI Karen,
Thanks for your update. Do you change your clocks back next w/e too? Great pix that you send too.
We are fine. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
love from us
aunt annette and uncle rob
steph and mike and jodi too

Shana said...

Don't you just love the huge empty field of dust they get to 'play' on during breaks?